Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Friday, December 17, 2010


Ok, I guess it would only stand to reason that after all that slush, wind, snow, ice and cold that we would get sick. Pops started yesterday, sneezing and sniffling. I kept handing him the hand gel but I knew it was only a matter of time until I got it too. In such a small space it is hard to keep germs under control.
I started feeling like I was getting a sore throat last night. We stopped for fuel and to get some lights fixed and do some laundry. While doing laundry, I called Elaine. She is the other FXCC driver that we met a while back in Raleigh, NC. I just wanted to catch up and see what her and Steve have been up to and also to wish them a Merry Christmas. It was good to talk with her.
Then I got to texting Elyse. She and her husband, Mark, you will remember drive for our truck owner too. They were driving through the ice storm and she was nervous just riding. I know that feeling. They are doing well and are planning on staying out over Christmas and going home in January for an extended stay.
Then Pops and I got to talking to a man and woman in the laundry room. She was training and riding with the man. They were doing laundry and wanted a shower but hadn't gotten enough fuel for a free shower and with her just in training she didn't have much money. We gave them each a shower. We had 7 shower credits. We get one each time we fuel and sometimes we fuel twice a day. They tend to build up and after 7 days they expire. It felt good to be able to help someone. She was funny, she said she wasn't sure if she would continue with truck driving because, "they are so big." Uh huh.
After all our laundry was done and our repairs were done we traveled on down the road. We stopped at a rest area somewhere just inside the VA line and decided to sleep for awhile. Pops was feeling pretty nasty.
We played a game or two of spider solitaire on the computer then went to sleep it was about midnight or a little after.
I woke up after awhile when I heard the truck start. Pops got us moving on down the road, I went back to sleep. I woke up around 7:30 and we were almost out of VA. He had been driving in ice and was driving slowly. There were so many trees and lines down everywhere, And then most places had about 3-4 inches of new snow on top of the ice. It had all passed by the time I woke up and the roads were just wet.
Pops drove us to Christiansburg to Walmart and we finished up our grocery shopping and got the things we couldn't get yesterday. That store was not a grocery store. They hadn't plowed their parking lot and it was horrible. Then we got moving again.
We were both feeling downright bad. We were sneezing, blowing our noses, complaining about aches and pains and itchy watery eyes and ears. We were whiny, both of us. How disgusting.
We stopped somewhere in Tennessee and I was going to start to drive. I told him I was taking the day off and staying in my pjs but that didn't fly. I began to drive.
We stopped just after entering Alabama at a rest stop to get something to eat and go to the bathroom. It was pretty nice here. There were even some pansies still in bloom. After eating a piece of meatloaf and mashed potatoes we got moving.
Now we are stopped at a truckstop in Gadsden, AL. We are going to sleep here and get showered in the morning. I wish I had one of those Shower Soothers with me. Have you ever tried one of those? They look like a big alka seiltzer and when the water from the shower hits them they put off vapors and opens up your sinuses really well. They are a good product. But I don't have one here. Oh well, just the shower will feel good and then if I had a bowl of chicken noodle soup, well I don't.
I just baked some oatmeal raisen cookies, I'm sure they'll be the comfort food I need right now.
Love ya, talk to you later.

1 comment:

Kristie @ Comfy Cozy said...

Sorry you guys are feeling crummy! I hope you both feel better soon!!