Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cooking.......a lot

Yesterday since I knew that we were on a layover and a good chance it would be a while I decided to cook. I really miss cooking for people. I like to cook. I am a little gadget challenged and limited here in the truck but I do my best.
Anyway when I bought groceries the other day I bought ingredients to make spaghetti, turkey burgers, and potato soup.
So I cut onions and browned meat and got my spaghetti sauce going. Then I cut more onions and mixed up my ground turkey for burgers and got them going in the George Foreman grill. I have an electric pot but it was buried in the side compartment so I cooked my spaghetti noodles in my electric skillet. Hey it worked, I'm always up for a challenge. hahaha
So now we have chili from the other day, Pot roast w/ vegetables from Friday, Spaghetti and Turkey burgers already prepared for the next few days.
When I woke from my nap today I decided I wanted Potato Soup. It is chilly here and soup sounded good to me. So I cut up the potatoes and onion and put them into the electric pot that I did dig out of the side compartment yesterday. I added some celery seed, salt and pepper and left it boil. Then when the potatoes were done I added a can of evaporated milk and some butter. It was at that moment that I realized that I didn't have any flour to thicken my soup with. Well watery potato soup is not gonna cut it with me. So....they say necessity is the mother of invention, so I re-invented potato soup today. At first I considered going into the truckstop restuarant and asking for some flour but vetoed that idea right away. So I searched my cupboards. Ah ha! I found something, pancake mix, Blueberry pancake mix. Well I could pick out the dehydrated blueberries, right? So I spooned out about 1/4 cup and began to pick blueberries. lol
I mixed a little milk in and got it to the right consistancy. And then I added it to my soup. I left it cook for a few minutes until it thickened just right and then I spooned up a bowl for Pops and added some crackers. I spooned myself a bowl and added some crackers. When I looked, Pops had his half eaten and hadn't said a word about it. I started to eat mine and could taste the blueberry but then thought well maybe it's just because I know it's in there. So I kept eating.
Once his was all gone, I asked him if he wanted some more and he declined saying he was full. That's when I said, "I can taste the blueberries a little bit." He said he could too, but wasn't going to criticize my soup. It was okay like that he said. He will eat it up if I don't like it. Isn't he great? Really, Blueberry Potato Soup?
And he's gonna finish it up.
You can bet flour is going right on the top of my grocery list next time.hahaha And so is a toaster. Later this evening we went inside. Pops wanted pie and I wanted hot chocolate and toast. They charged me $1.49 for 2 pieces of toast. That would buy a whole loaf of bread, are you kidding me? And I can buy a box of hot chocolate for $1.00. Oh my. Life on the road can be expensive. I still am having trouble with paying $4.00 for every load of laundry. But at least we get free showers.
 Hey, like I said, I like a challenge. We'll figure things out.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Wow, I never had nothing like that when I was on the road! LOL I'm glad to hear you all are together like that! God Bless!

Kristie @ Comfy Cozy said...

Blueberry potato soup!?! I can just picture his face after that first bite!! He's a keeper :)