Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Homemade Bread

We are sitting in Amish country right now. Pops is sleeping. He drove all night to our destination. I have our supper in the crockpot. I sorted through a mountain of mail. (We came through Cumberland, MD last night so Bill and Starla brought us our mail.) 
It is raining. My mind wonders. I think about the Amish markets and all of the good homemade foods like bread and jellies. I am trying to not think of the fudge brownies, pies, cakes and donuts that they are so good at making.
But a good piece of homemade bread, wouldn't that taste good? And since it's raining,what else are you going to do?
Here's a recipe for you. Eat a piece for me.

Homemade Bread
6-7 cups flour
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp oil
2 packages of yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water 
3 tbsp sugar or molasses
Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, dissolve sugar or molasses in warm water.
Add yeast to water and dissolve then let sit until it bubbles. 
Add oil to water mixture.
Make hole in the middle of dry ingredients then add water mixture to dry ingredients.
Knead for 10 minutes.
Put in well greased bowl(I used the same metal bowl I had originial mixed in and then sprayed with cooking spray), flip over, cover with wax paper and towel(I used damp paper towels and then covered with a dish towel).
Let rise tell double its size (about 35-45 minutes)
Knead again for 10 minutes.
Cut into two and put into well greased loaf pans then let rise until double the size (35-55 minutes)
Bake at 425 for 25 minutes


No comments: