Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Family Breakfast

We drove at a much more relaxed pace now. And did get into the state of New York around 2:30 pm. We were headed into a brewing plant right in the city of Rochester. Our GPS warned us of low underpasses. Now normally we follow "Gypsy's" our GPS directions and for the most part she is pretty good, but because of the low underpass warnings we opted to follow the customer directions thinkng that they would know how to route the trucks in and out of their facility. So at 3:30pm on a Friday I drove into the city.
Traffic was busy but not yet real heavy. And 2 blocks before reaching our destination I encountered the low underpass. There it was, just to the right of me and directions were telling me to turn right. So I quickly made the decision to go straight and get right back onto the interstate highway.
After driving to the next exit to loop back around we got Gypsy to give us directions and she got us right to the plant without the worry of the underpass. Now the next problem....this plant had at least 8 large buildings right in the heart of the city and we didn't know which one to go to and parking spaces were very limited.
So I did manage to get the truck out of traffic and Pops went inside to find out where we needed to be.
The building that we needed was just 2 buildings down from where we were now, so we pulled out onto the street and right back into a lot and backed into a dock. In 10 minutes we were unloaded and ready to head home. We took our truck out of service immediately and headed for home.
The drive was going to take about 6 1/2 hours and it always seems so long once we know that we are headed home, but we stayed moving and made it home between 11 and 11:30.
We unpacked what we needed to take into the house and quietly came in. Bill and Starla were already in bed and we didn't want to wake them.
I went to the basement and threw some clothes into the washing machine and then Pops and I settled in.
The next morning I was up early. I was excited to see my children and our son, Drew, was bringing along a friend that he wanted us to meet, a girl friend.
I cooked some sausage and made a white, peppered gravy for over that. I cooked some green onion, smoked sausage that we brought back from Peto's in Louisiana. I fried 2 pounds of bacon. I scrambled 18 eggs and toasted a whole loaf of multi-grain bread and we had all of that fruit that I had bought in Florida and Georgia. It was going to be good.
Starla and Bill got up and came down not long after I started cooking. It was so good to see them both. And we talked and got all caught up talking while I cooked.
In a short while our son, Tom showed up. I miss him so much. It is always so good to see him. When he still lived at home and was in school he is the one who seemed to enjoy the same hobbies that I enjoyed. We would work for hours in the yard and plant beds doing landscaping.
Breakfast was supposed to be at 10am and Drew wasn't here yet. Bill had plans to work on his vehicles, so we decided to go ahead and eat. Drew could catch up, haha and there was no chance that we were going to eat it all.
Eventually he did get here and we got to meet Katelyn, his friend. She was very easy to talk to and I could see why Drew would like her. No to mention that she is pretty, as one of our friends said later, "how does Drew always find all these pretty girls?"
Katelyn told us all about herself and her family and we tried to be on our best behavior and not embarrass Drew too much. Honestly, just between you and me, sometimes I think we're a little strange. lol
And just to prove my point, while we were all still sitting in the kitchen, Pops went back to the sunroom for something. Suddenly he made a comment about a big spider and needing something to kill it. I told him just to step on it and was on my back there thinking that maybe he didn't have shoes on. Just as I came into the room I saw him pick up one of Bill's arrows that was laying beside his bow (one with a broadhead tip) and "spear" the spider, pinned it right to the window box. The whole episode was hilarious but I did apologize to Katelyn for our silliness. It was funny though.
After breakfast I gave Drew and Katelyn the tour of our "home," the truck. Drew laughed about our bunkbeds. He couldn't imagine us sleeping on bunkbeds especially his dad on the top bunk. But keep in mind that this a temporary truck for us.
We really had a good morning and got sad when it was time for the boys to leave. They both had to work this afternoon. I knew that we would probably be leaving early Tuesday morning and that I wouldn't see them again this time home. That makes me sad. I love my kids so much. You know, family is the most important thing this side of Heaven. And I thank God for my family each and every day. We may be silly, we may not always see eye to eye, but we truly love each other and can talk and reason with other in love and harmony.
So I stood at the window and watched my boys drive away with all the leftover food. And it was sad to watch them go but my heart was full.

No comments: