Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Youth Sunday

Our stay at the rest area in West Memphis went by quickly. It was a nice to place to stay where I could just open the door and let the dogs out to play. The trucks would come and go one right after another but we were kind of out of the way and not really bothered by them.
Pops and I watched a  movie to pass some time. We watched the new Three Stooges movie. I actually liked it. I was hoping that by watching this it wouldn't spur Pops on to acting like a stooge and it hasn't so far.
When we got up this morning I made a pot of coffee and we sat and got ourselves awake and took the dogs out for a walk and then drove over to Olive Branch, Mississippi, well actually the church is in Southaven.
Christview Christian Church is in a real nice neighborhood directly across from an elementary school. We had just been here a few weeks ago.
I had made some friends from this congregation on my facebook page so we were aware that this Sunday was Youth Sunday. The youth were entirely in charge of the service. I was really looking forward to being there.
One thing we noticed last time we visited Christview is that they have a lot of youth compared to most churches that we attend.
Our GPS took us to the right street but on the end where there is a golf course and no truck traffic allowed so we had to reroute and figure a way to the other end of that street. So by the time we arrived Sunday school was just about to begin.
Lance was outside in the pavillion and he shouted something to us but we couldn't hear him so we walked in his direction. He told us that the youth were practicing in the auditorium so Sunday school was being held outside. Last time we were here I attended a different class, but this was ok. There were already about 12 or so sitting there in the pavillion.
Lance taught the class and he was teaching about Being free from Sin. He tied us all up with a rope and then ask questions as to how we felt being restrained and in bondage. Once we got free and "escaped" the ropes then we talked about freedom and how it feels to be free. He related this to stories from when he served in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. It was a really nice class time.
I really like getting re-visit churches, especially ones where I have friends on facebook. I like getting to know people better and have a bigger network of Christian people. God's Kingdom is so amazing and if we all did our jobs as Kingdom Builders I cannot even imagine what it could be.
After Sunday School we went inside for the service. I was offered coffee and doughnuts. Of course I didn't decline, that wouldn't be polite, hahaha. So I went to the kitchen for coffee and that's where I saw Stacey. She is one of the friends that I have on facebook from last time. She gave me a hug and Pops and I chatted in the kitchen for a few minutes before heading to the auditorium.
We bumped into a few more familiar faces on the way.
You could feel a ripple of excitement in the youth. The air was charged with their excitement and nervousness.
The praise team started the singing and it was upbeat and contemporary, very uplifting. Then the communion meditation was given and at first the young man spoke very fast but eventually slowed down and it was a very good message.
After communion they took up the offering and then they showed a video that the youth had done set to a song. It was so good. It seemed very well planned and filmed and I sure hope they put it on Youtube.
Then it was time for the sermon. It came from Proverbs 30:24-28. The sermon was given by three different young men. I don't know their names or I would mention them.  They spoke about 4 very smalll earthly creatures and the lessons we can learn from each of them.
1. Ants: how they work today from what they learned in their past to be prepared in their future.

2. Rock badgers: They hid in the rock, just as we should take our refuge in The Rock.

3. Locusts: Working together equally toward a common mission

4. Lizard: small and insignificant yet in the Palace of the King
It was a very good sermon and one that was offered really well by the three boys. Christview Christian Church has a lot to be proud of in their Youth. It is not tomorrow's church, it is today's church.
Good job to all who took part.
We did manage to make a few more facebook friends this visit. I hope it's not too long before we get to come back to Christview Christian Church in Southaven, Mississippi. It is really close to Memphis, TN so if you are passing by on any Lord's Day join them for service. You will be uplifted.

No comments: