Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Back to PA

Pops and I made our delivery early this morning. Of course it was not uneventful. We found our address. It was a Health Center. And our instructions said to go to "receiving" which we did, but no one there seemed to know anything about this delivery. We were sent around to another building and the person there said that the person waiting for this delivery might not show up today. So while everyone sat around scratching their heads as to what we were supposed to do we just sat in the truck wondering too. Our company didn't seem much help either.
Finally a man showed up that knew exactly what we were hauling and knew where it should go so we were sent around to another side of a building. Pops helped the man unload and finally we were out of there.
We decided to wait for a load at a rest area that wasn't too far away, so we drove there. It was a pretty, sunny day and Pops got out and walked around for a bit and then sat at a picnic table nearby. I wanted to do the dishes and clean the truck so I put the dogs out into the grass. There weren't many trucks and there was a big grassy area and Pops was right there so I didn't put them on their leashes, I just left them out.
From time to time while cleaning I looked out to see what they were up to and they were just exploring and enjoying freedom. Pops was talking on the phone.
When I was all done and just about to step out of the truck to get the dogs I noticed that Lucy had scared up a little animal and was going after it. I thought it was a rat or mouse and then I saw another one. I yelled at her to stop and she did immediately but when I got closer I realized that it was too late. She had found a nest of baby bunnies and had injured two of them really bad. I saw 2 others hop into the high grass under a tree and I think I saw a third already under there but wasn't sure.
I put the dogs into the truck and went to get Pops. He had just finished up a phone call and was coming my direction wondering what the commotion was about. I told him what Lucy had done and that there were 2 babies that needed "to be put out of misery." So while I peeked at the little ones that hopped under the tree, Pops took care of the nasty stuff.
Oh, I hated that. I had baby bunny blood all over my hands. I had picked the one up earlier to see how badly it was hurt.
I wished that we had never stopped here. I was so mad at Lucy.
But then I remembered that she is a dog, any dog probably would've done the same thing, but I just can't stop thinking about how small they were and now there were 2 less than before. Where was their mother?
We sat at that rest area for another 2 hours or so and I never did see a mama bunny.
I did see movement under the tree and hoped the best for the remaining little ones.
We got a  load offer that will take us back to Pennsylvania. It picks up tonight in Indianapolis, so we drove a little closer to our pick up spot.
We are now sitting another rest area just 7 miles away from our pickup. I have had the dogs out twice today since we got here, both times on their leashes.
I am not mad at Lucy anymore, but she isn't getting any doggy treats today either.

No comments: