Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rain, rain, go away!

We have been in so much rain lately. It started for us on Saturday evening while in Dayton. We could see by the flooded areas that it had been raining here for quite some time. It seemed that every field was under water and creeks, streams and rivers were way past their normal boundries. It rained all evening, sometimes really hard, sometimes mixed with sleet.
We walked up to the truckstop for showers and saw some young girls selling Girl Scout cookies. I didn't bring any cash with me so I walked back through the sleeting rain to get some and came away with 3 boxes of thin mints. They were out of Dos si dos and Tagalongs. :(
Anyway, in a little while after returning to the truck, the rain started to mix with some snow and later turned to all snow. By the next morning when we were in Poco, WV it was laying on the ground.
We picked up our load and headed back toward Michigan thinking that we might be driving through snow, but by the time we got to Dayton it was back to rain.
We delivered that load and waited out a layover in Michigan. It wasn't raining now, but it was cloudy and dreary.
We got a load picking up in Deleware,Oh and going to St. Joseph, MO. By the time we entered Ohio, it was raining again. Wow, I think just about all of Ohio is flooded! There is so much water everywhere.
The further we drove the more it rained. It rained all through Indiana, Illinois and Missouri.
We were going to St. Joseph which is on the western side of Missouri, just 25 miles north of Kansas City. We were hauling a hazmat load but not a big quantity so we didn't need placards. It was just one barrel of a corrosive material.
We made our delivery and was given a choice of two layover destinations: Kansas City, MO or Omaha, Nebraska. I wanted to go to Kansas City because it was closer, Pops wanted to go to Omaha. When I asked him why he wanted to there he said something about Mutual of Omaha. I asked him to repeat what he said because I hadn't quite heard him, but he wouldn't repeat he just agreed to go to Kansas City.
I asked him if he wanted to go there to see Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? I was joking of course. He didn't answer me, he just gave me one of those side-ways glances. I said, "You know, he's dead." "Who," he asked.
"That guy, the one who hosted that show." Wild Kingdom was a show about wildlife. It was on when I was a kid. It was on Sunday evenings just before Walt Disney. I loved that show and I can picture the host as if he was right in front of me, but I couldn't think of his name if it would've saved my life. And that bugged me!!!
Pops and I talked about it for a few minutes, but nothing would trigger the name, "Merlin," I said. "I think it is Merlin."
So I posted the question on Facebook and George Rigo came right back with the right answer, Marlin Perkins. Thanks George.
So we still sit in the rain waiting out a layover. Rain, rain go away

No comments: