Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Silent Battle


With the suicide of Robin Williams The illness of Depression has been thrown into the spotlight. As one who suffers from this affliction I know firsthand how excruciatingly desperate one can feel.
Depression is a complete and total lack of Joy. 
When in the midst of depression there is not a speck of joy, not a speck of hope. Believe me, I have been there.
I still knew and remembered all my teaching and learning in my faith and yet, somehow,, someway, didn't grasp it.
Besides the medication that  helps with the very real chemical imbalance in the brain, you need people who won't judge, people who won't criticize, people who won't try to "fix" you. You just need one, quiet, loving person with you at ALL times. 
NEVER EVER EVER leave a severely depressed person alone. NEVER!!!! I cannot stress that enough. They feel alone already, even if in a crowded room. 
And even if they LOOK normal, and they mostly will, they aren't feeling normal inside.
Depression and anxiety cause illogical thoughts to become REAL in the mind of a person. They are actually CONVINCED that what they think is real. You WILL NOT be able to change their mind.
It is so very frightening for all involved. And yes, one person with true clinical depression and or anxiety will affect the entire family.
But it doesn't come on rapidly, no, it slowly, very slowly, builds up in the person and then escalates quickly.
If you know someone who suffers with this, pay attention to their behavior. Do not allow this person to become a recluse.do not allow them to isolate. Be an encourager to them. We need each other. 
I could speak volumes on this subject. I have been there standing on the edge. I have been there. 
I am not excusing the behavior and bad choices of depressed people, not in any way, I just understand the desperation. 
That is the message, the despair. That is the battle. We need to LISTEN to people. We need to be there for them and for each other.

But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. (Hebrews 3:13 NASB)

Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11 NASB)

Not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:25 NASB)

We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. (1 Thessalonians 5:14 NASB)

No comments: