Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wow Time Flies

I cannot believe how quickly this month is flying by.
Pops and I made a delivery and then drove to a nearby rest area for layover. For previous (one-time) experience and from what we've been told we were prepared to be in Florida for a few days waiting on a load out or else having to deadhead far. But within a few short hours we had a load picking up that same evening in Ft. Myers and going to Decatur, IL.
So we started our drive and we drove many miles through rurals roads of Florida. We passed truckload after truckload of oranges. Then we saw a facility where they were being taken. In that parking lot we saw at least 100 truckloads of oranges waiting to be unloaded. My goodness, I never would've imagined so many oranges.
Then we drove through a small town and Pops saw a large snake. He said it was dark in color and about the size of my wrist and probably at least 8 feet long. Oh my, I'm glad I didn't see it. I wouldn't have wanted to step foot outside our truck and that would have been bad for our dogs.
We made our pick up at Ft. Myers. We were carrying some kinds of big machine parts going to Caterpillar. Pops had to move the load all around and secure it. During that time he broke the skin on his shin and it was bleeding everywhere. This is bad news for him because it many times will trigger cellulitis for him and that is exactly what happened. His leg became infected and swollen and very sore and also caused him to run a fever. But none of that showed up until about the time we got the load to Decatur.
He refused to go to a doctor saying that he would see one at home when we get there in a few days. Ok, I know better than to argue with his "determination" aka bull-headedness.
It was nighttime when we delivered in Decatur so we drove back to a Walmart Plaza that we had spotted. We slept soundly that night and the next morning I stocked our groceries and supplies since we were at Walmart. It was a cold and dreary day and I just couldn't seem to get warm.
While parked in the plaza I noticed a tanning salon in the plaza and said how nice it would be to lay in there and be warm so without too much persuading Pops told me to go. So I did and boy, did it feel good. I felt good all the rest of the day.
Sometime in the afternoon we got a good load going to Dover AFB for Friday. That was good because after we delivered we could just deadhead home from there and be home for the Holiday weekend, but it didn't pick up until the next day in Indiana. So we drove toward our pickup and found a truckstop to spend the night. We showered and then settled in for the evening.
Our pickup was at a military base and it was so far back in the boondocks. I could not believe some of the roads that we were taking. We drove and drove on roads that were so narrow I hated the thoughts of maybe passing a bicycle. But finally we reached the base and got loaded. We were carrying a high security load and was being monitored by satelite.
I drove for a few more hours and then Pops began to drive. By the time I woke up we were at Dover.
It was a pretty big ordeal getting into the base. But once in, we got unloaded and were done within a very short period of time.
Now our vacation begins.
We are on our way home. Traffic wasn't too bad and we got home by 3pm. We carried all our stuff (dirty clothes, clean clothes, computer, phones, food from our refrigerator) inside.
We had our daughter, Starla meet us in Grantsville so that we could leave our truck at our mechanics for some small repairs and regular servicing.
It was so nice to be home.

No comments: