Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Last week in the West Part 1

So we were looking at spending the weekend in Lodi, CA which is near Sacrmento. There is a flying J truckstop there that we like to go to. There was another Fedex truck there and we barely saw them all weekend, they stayed in their truck and kept to themselves. But so do we most of the time.
We did go inside to do laundry and had two loads of clothes with only washing machine available so needless to say it took awhile. But we had good company while in there. There was a woman driver also doing her clothes. She ran team with her husband until his death and then continued on her own. I had a lot of admiration for her. I would not want to be out here alone. She was from Oklahoma and was very nice to spend time with.
Then later another couple came in. They were also expediters but for a different company. They owned their own truck and was doing dedicated military runs. They were very happy with their jobs.
We started to wonder if perhaps we should consider buying our own truck. But with the economy it is scary to think about the risk.
We had spent two other weekends in this place and so we knew that there is no church near. So we held our own services as we sometimes have to do. But we had a good discussion and lesson with each other and of course had communion. We gave our offering to a man in need of money because it was a holiday (presidents day) weekend and he was out of money until Tuesday.
The weather was absolutely beautiful. It was 68 degrees and sunny.
On Monday around noon we decided to take our truck to get some lights fixed and while on our way there we got a load offer. It was going back to Seattle again. We accepted and got the load so as soon as our lights were fixed we took off.
I was driving first and so I was going through the flatlands of route 5 in California. I began to see many rabbits along the highway. At one point in time I saw 17 rabbits in the space of 1 mile, no kidding! That’s a lot of rabbits.
The roads were good and once we reached Weed near Mt. Shasta Bill started to drive. I went to sleep and woke up somewhere just before we reached our delivery destination and began to drive again.
Our destination was very near the airport in Seattle. We saw a lot of huge airplanes.
Before we even got that load delivered we were offered another dispatch picking up immediately and delivering just 10 miles away. It was going to take about 45 minutes total pickup to delivery and the money was good so we accepted.
So just a short time later we were parking at the truckstop. Our usual place that we like at that truckstop wasn’t free so we parked in front of the restaurant. It was a pretty full lot because the mountain pass had caused the interstate to be closed.
It was raining really hard and the threat of avalanches was great.
We stayed in the truck only getting out when absolutely necessary. Even the dogs didn’t want to get out because of the rain.
Toward evening I thought that a piece of pie sounded good so I went inside to get some. They had apple so I ordered that and brought it back to the truck. It looked so good. I took a bite and something wasn’t right. I took another bite and realized that it tasted like onions. I looked at Pops and asked if he thought that it tasted like onions. He said it did and so that was that. We didn’t eat the pie. I didn’t want to go back in since it was raining so hard.
The next day, Thursday, we sat around all day waiting for a load. None came. Friday we waited some more and again none came.
Saturday I was getting bored with movies and it was still raining and still no loads. I asked Pops if we could go inside to eat just to get out of the truck for awhile. So we did. While in there I told the waitres about our “onion pie.” So she gave pie and ice cream for free to take back to the truck with us when we left.
Our frustration with not having a load was getting to be real testing. I was beginning to have second thoughts about this job. At the same time one of our friends back home has just gotten hired with Fedex doing what we do and I was happy for her.
We are not getting a load. It is almost 2 months since we’ve been home. It has been more than 3 weeks since we have crossed west of the Rocky Mts. It is pouring down rain keeping us trapped in this truck. My tv won’t come in because of the weather. My movie selection is limited. And I want to cry, out loud.
Finally, finally we got a load offer. And it was going east, across the mountains!!!! We accepted and waited for what seemed a really long time before we found out that we did get the load. It was picking up on Monday and going to Oklahoma City for Wednesday. It was a military load and that scared us because they sometimes cancel at the last minute so we didn’t want to get our hopes up but at the same time we wanted to have high hopes.
We found a church that was very close to where we would be picking up so we decided to go there. We got up early and showered and then drove to church. It was a small church but they had about 85 people and they were the friendliest group of people we ever met.  I would say out of 85 people, 75 came up and talked to us.
We found out that their evangelist had passed away suddenly about 6 months ago so their elders were filling in behind the pulpit. The Sunday School teacher was a young man, Ben Faulkner was his name. He was very educated and taught a really good lesson on the church of Ephesus.
After Sunday School the main worship started and they had a praise team like many churches do now. The singing in this congregation was amazing. I just couldn’t get over it. They sounded like they were 500 people. The rounds in the verses and the harmony was great. And the young girl that played the keyboard was really good.
The sermon was brought by Howard Herndon. He is one of the elders there. He spoke on Balaam and his donkey and how we need to be looking for God’s direction and not following after our own desires. Balaam knew God’s laws, he knew what God wanted but chose to be disobedient for sordid gain. It was a good sermon and reminded us to be alert and watchful that we don’t fall away.
We found out that they would be having Sunday evening services and so planned to come back and attend.
During the afternoon we found a Walmart and restocked our groceries.
After that we drove back to the church parking lot and took a Sunday nap. That is until we heard, “boom, boom, boom.” What is the world? Pops got up and saw that some kids were bouncing a ball off the side of our truck. But once they saw him they took off fast…and left their ball. Hahaha that sounds like something I would’ve done when I was a kid.
Sunday evening service was good. It was more of a Bible study. We studied an eye for eye, retribution. We had a good discussion and I was impressed with everyone’s participation. We spent some extra time that evening getting to better know some of those there.  Of course we loved meeting Howard and his wife, Sieg and his wife and daughter, Robert Taylor and his mom and sister. I love making new Christian friends but when we drove away that evening I had that sadness inside that I might not ever get to see them again this side of Heaven. But there’s always Facebook or in the case of Sieg, email.

No comments: