Come along for the Ride!

I am so glad you are here. Stay with us as we travel everywhere. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Geronimo

Geronimo
Back in the Spring while on layover in Portsmouth, NH, while I was outside walking the dogs in the rain and cold; I looked down on the ground and saw a small blue figure. I picked it up and saw that it was an Indian toy. He had been run over and was pretty disfigured. I decided to bring him back to the truck.
I washed him with some soap and water and decided that he would travel with us for awhile. We had recently been through San Antonio area and remembered seeing a small place called Geronimo, Texas. I named our new little friend Geronimo and decided that we would keep him until we returned to Geronimo. And then we would leave him there.
Our Geronimo has been all over to many places as he has traveled with us. He is fastened to our dashboard on the passenger side with Velcro tape.
We have taken him off there and snapped his picture on several occasions and he has even communicated his thoughts over facebook from time to time. We are convinced that he likes being with us.
Recently we realized that we would be traveling back through Geronimo, TX and was feeling a great sense of loss at the thoughts of leaving him there. So we put it up for a vote through our pages on facebook and we would let the people decide. We gave them almost 3 days to decide and when all was said and done, it was determined that Geronimo would continue to travel with us.
What is very strange is that on the day that it was decided that he would stay with us was the day before we visited Lawton, OK. We found out while driving there that the real Geronimo spent the end of his life in Lawton and is in fact buried there. Wow, what coincidence!
It is a really good story… the story of the real Geronimo. In fact, Geronimo is just his nickname. You can read all about it if you google, “Geronimo” and then go to the Wikipedia information. Now let me warn you, it is rather lengthy, but very interesting.
Anyway, our Geronimo is still with us and will be for a while I guess. And I think there are some who are looking for a mate for him. Although the real Geronimo had 9 wives, yes 9 wives, not lives.
We will be going back to Lawton, I’m sure, since my Aunt Eileen and her boys live there. And there is a big military base there, so next time I do want to see Geronimo’s Grave.
I love our travels and getting to see great things and learn stuff that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. I hope you like it too.

No comments: